Monday, October 3, 2011

The Things I Miss the Most.

I'm about a quarter of the way through my time here and the one question that I still get asked almost everyday is "Are you homesick?" I guess it comes with the territory of studying abroad, but I am never sure how to answer it. I'm not actually homesick because I'm glad I am in Ireland and not New Jersey or Boston or anywhere else, for that matter, but that doesn't mean I don't miss things from home. So instead of answering in a big long spiel like this blog has turned into, I've come to a conclusion that I miss the people from home, not actually the place. I wish everyone I missed were just here in Ireland with me! That would be the simplest solution, right?

Something that I miss while I'm at college no matter where I am is being in a real house. I get so sick of just living in a room, it's nice to know there is a real world outside of a college campus. This past weekend my two Irish housemates brought me home with them and it was a great time to be out of apartments and hostels and actually be in a real house. One of the girls lives on a farm out in Co. Offaly (near Dublin) where her family served us a wonderful turkey dinner and I got to play with dogs and chickens and cows. Well, I guess play with isn't the right word. I just looked at the cows and chickens, don't worry. It was so nice to just be in a home and take a break from school for awhile.

There are some other things, as well, (besides friends and family) that I wish were in Ireland and I am missing a lot.

SPORTS
I miss American sports. I'm in rugby country. And because of that, people here could care less about football and baseball. They just don't understand real sports. I met a huge steelers fan a couple weeks ago and we are looking everywhere for a sports place that will play American football. I guess it's not a bad thing my Colts aren't doing that great this season so I am not missing much, but honestly, I would even settle for a patriots game at this point.
And now, I am missing all of the amazing yankees games. Nothing streams baseball out of the US and Canada, it's so annoying. But on games that are actually normal times here and not played in the middle of my night, Katie saved the day. I love technology. Katie pulled up the game on her computer and skyped me for three hours so I could watch the game! It was great. Now she just has to be free every time they play (Got that, KT?). 

SEASONS
Autumn in New England is my all time favorite season. It makes me so sad that I'm missing all the leaves changing and the apple picking and the thanksgiving preparations. Although, it really is gorgeous weather here, I'm not complaining at all, but I just wish the trees looked like the mountains up in Massachusetts right now.

FOOD
I miss American food. Never thought I would ever say that because honestly, I never thought America had any good food. I miss Double Stuffed Oreos. Only regular size exists here- it's so strange. They are missing out. And bisquik. I just want pancakes. Who knew people actually make pancakes from scratch?? Just kidding. I knew. I just think pancake mix makes life easier. Fabulous invention. And m&ms from Hackettstown. I love seeing my hometown (close enough) on the back of m&m packages. But not here. Everything is imported from the UK. Not the US. Kraft Mac&Cheese is missing here too. Actually, all American brands are. Which makes sense...

Target. I miss target too. They need to expand to Ireland.

I guess it's a good thing these are just little things I could survive without because I really wouldn't trade my time here for anything. And I know there will be loads of things I miss about Ireland once I come home. 
But not yet! I still have three more months!

No comments:

Post a Comment